Thursday, August 22, 2013

Giving an end table new life.


Last weeks treasures post had a picture of this really great mid century, barrel shaped end table. It was one of the reasons I was so thrilled about my finds. Every thing I picked up that day was really good but this was a perfect jewel. Except for the finish.
 
 
It had such beautiful details on the bottom edge and on the legs, as well as such pretty little feet.
 
 
 
The door has this great chicken wire detail along with just the perfect hardware.  I absolutely fell in love.  It went straight to my work room from the truck. All it needed was the perfect colour.
 
 
I started by removing the hardware and giving the whole piece inside and out a good wash with some vinegar and water.
I mixed one part blue paint with three parts of white and made up my chalk paint mixture.
Then I painted the inside with the lightened blue. Have I said how much I love this colour of blue.  Once the inside was dry I gave the outside, including the chicken wire, a coat of this lightened blue mixture.  It's easy to paint the wire but you must use very little paint on the brush to keep it from clumping up.
Once it was completely dry, about an hour, I gave it a second coat of paint.  The main part was the light blue mix, and the door and top were painted with the original blue. The finishing touch was a coat of natural paste wax. And of course the hardware.
 
 What do you think?  Isn't she beautiful? 
 



Using 3 parts white with one part of the original colour makes it easy to do any piece in a two tone like this.  There is never any worry of the two colours not going together.
 Because the chalk paint mixture is porous it takes the paste wax really well and buffs up to a nice soft shine.



 













Bye for now... and have a great day.

No comments: