Friday, July 5, 2013

Red Clover Tea

Drinking tea, Hmmm. Coffee is actually my passion, but  I always feel a little guilty while I enjoy a cup now because I think I should be putting something into my body that at least has a few health benefits.  

I'm trying to replace at least a couple cups of coffee a day with tea.  Now that the warm weather is here it's a good time to experiment with a few flavours of ice tea.

This one really isn't too bad,  kind of nice really. 
While the kettle is boiling I run hot tap water into my tea pot to pre warm it.  I'm not even sure why I do this, just that I remember someone , maybe my grandmother, doing this when I was young.


I cut a square of cheese cloth for a DIY  tea bag, put about a quarter cup of dried red clover flowers  onto the cheese cloth, fold up the corners and tie with a piece of cotton string.

Once the kettle is boiling for a few minutes turn it off, empty out the tea pot and add 2 regular tea bags and the red clover one.

Pour 6 to 8 cups of   hot water into the pot. Cover and let steep for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Sweeten and flavour the tea with honey  to taste. To this pot I added just a tiny drop of peppermint extract as well.

I like my first cup hot, and then remove the tea bags and store the remainder in the fridge to sip on throughout the day.

 Red clover is supposed to be good for a number of things including  hot flashes and lowering cholesterol.  Check the link red clover benefits for a great list of its uses and maybe you'll find a reason to use it too.


Bye for now and have a good day everyone.

No comments: