Saturday, July 13, 2013

Fairy Garden / Hens and Chicks

I had this pot of Hens and chicks sedum that was ugly and over grown.  There's something magical about these perfect little plants that just makes you want to display them but somehow they'd ended up neglected and forgotten. 


This is with most of the plants removed and I forgot to take a picture before I started, but you can still tell how horrible this planter looked.





 They were in definite need of a new home, and my granddaughter B kept saying I need to make a fairy garden.  Over the last few months she kept telling me this would be good for the fairies or that would be good for the fairies, so we made this little house and dining set for them a few weeks back. The birch bark was salvaged from the ground. Please don't pull it directly from a healthy tree.     :(   
The walkway didn't stay, I thought it looked too modern for the setting.


I added some of the plants and a few pine cones because B would have been sad if I didn't give them a place of honour. She was sure fairies would love them. Notice there is a tiny amber marble gazing ball here as well.




The new path to the front door is made from glass pieces from the craft store.  Much more in keeping with a magical setting. To the left of the path are the rest of the hens and chicks and a greeter frog. OH.. and another gazing ball, this time blue.





A few seashells and a quiet little retreat for fairies is born.









Like everything I do there is always one tiny thing that needs to be added before it feels completely finished.  Of course... what kind of a greeter frog would he be if he didn't say "welcome"?





Here is the finished planter on the deck right beside the front door.  I sure hope some fairies come to visit,  this little garden girl has been alone here for a very long time and would truly love some company.




Did I say finished.  I really hope not.  I'm sure all the little girls who come by will think of lots of changes that need to be made.


Bye for now and have a great day everyone.

No comments: