Thursday, July 11, 2013

Hair Rinse alternative

I'm replacing (or trying to) all of the personal products I use so this next while I will be sharing the changes and how they have been working for me.  This change is really important to me because I have asthma and my ultimate goal is not having to use steroid inhalers all the time.  I'm hoping by removing as many irritants from my environment as I can it will help create a healthier me.


The first and easiest of these products to replace for me was my hair conditioner.  I tried a few different things and my favorite recipe was this one found here at Camp Wander.



This rinse contains:
 Rosemary essential oil - used because of it amazing properties that promote a healthy scalp and hair.  It's supposed to improve memory too, what a bonus.
Lavender essential oil - used because it enhances the benefits of the rosemary and its good for dandruff as well  as being antibacterial.
Apple Cider Vinegar - it cuts through shampoo and hard water buildup, and balances the pH of your scalp and hair.
Borax - because its an amazing softener.  It's a salt/mineral and will not hurt you, but it is optional so I recommend you do your research before deciding to use it or not. This works well without it its just better with. Check here to see Borax.

Recipe:
4 cups of filtered water
8 drops of Rosemary essential oil
8 drops of Lavender essential oil
1 tsp. of borax - optional
3 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar

Mix and store in a glass jar in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.  I put about 1 cup in my empty conditioner bottle to use for my shower.

Simply rinse this through your hair  and enjoy nice shiny soft hair with lots of body.  Don't worry the vinegar smell goes away when your hair is dry.

If you have another DIY rinse that works for you or you've tried this one please leave a comment to let me know what you think.

Bye for now and have a good day everyone.



No comments: