Thursday, May 2, 2013

Kids Eat with their Fingers.

Getting kids to eat their meals is a chore for some parents.  Fortunately  I haven't often had a problem with this.   Even starving kids will be picky but I like them to eat healthy because in the long  run healthy is happy and my days are nicer. We try to play hard in the mornings, and only stop for a small fruit snack and a drink,  so by lunch everyone is hungry. 

This is what we had today.  Notice the carefully held fork in the other hand.

They will eat anything I put in front of them as long as I cut it up and serve it in small bites. 

I buy cheese in large bricks when it is on sale and then freeze it.  It doesn't slice well like this but the crumbled pieces are great for little fingers.  Toast is cut into cubes and ham or chicken into small pieces.  And yes they even eat brown beans. Yummy.

Another favorite here is tomato soup. I make it with milk, add a full can of mixed vegetables and serve it poured over whole wheat crackers.. Most of it is eaten with fingers and they might need a little help spooning up the soup at the end, but I have never had anyone turn it down. 

Once a week we have an awesome spinach omelete. There is never any left as long as they can get their tiny fingers on those  managable pieces. 

Toast is always a hit. Whether it's whole wheat or even rye,  it's all about the size and making it easy for them to "do it myself".  They are learning  new skills  every day and every new accomplishment is a milestone. Why not make it a bit easier for them to achieve their goals.

The kidlets all sat up to the table today excited to have their lunch and inhaled ate with much enthusiasm.  Almost as the last mouthful went in L was falling asleep in his seat.  The girls were right behind him.  I love sunny warm play days and good healthy lunches. And of course.. very happy, tired kidlets. 



A few shots of our play yard

 
 


 
 
I would like to ditch the store bought toys out here and add a mud pie station and more nature based play items.  But that needs to be left for another day.  For now the weather forecast is promising and we are enjoying our space. 

No comments: