Sunday, May 19, 2013

Spring Walk

 I took my kidlets for a walk around my backyard in the woods on Friday. 

I remember walking in the woods with my dad when I was really really young.  Those walks are some of my earliest memories. Because it is so important to me I wanted to share the wonder of the forest in the spring with the kidlets.  I don't think you can be too young for this activity, you just need to be able to walk, and believe me there is no shortage of new things to discover.

The forest in this case is actually the perimeter of my yard.  In my very first post found here I mentioned that our place is nestled in the trees at the very back of a trailer park and fairly private.  This makes it a wonderful place to discover nature. Come along and enjoy the walk with us.
Click on any picture to see all pics.





At the very edge of the trees where the sun shines a tiny bit we found a nice patch of violets.

 
 
 
This old tree was a dinner plate for a woodpecker.   
 
 
And this log was home to some fungi as well as some beetles that the kidlets quickly scared away.
 
 
 
 
 

The hillside was covered with these beautiful Trilliums.





 
 
 
I'm not sure what these pretty  little bell shaped yellow ones are called. If you know please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you.
 
 
 
 
 
Bird watching was the best here, and the bird music was amazing. 
 
 
 
 
 
This poor tree was a victim of a past wind storm.  
The kidlets were fascinated with this little bug out for a stroll.

There is a knoll in the middle of our yard that is mostly shaded. It's covered with this pretty evergreen Periwinkle. 




And coming back out into the sun on the other side of the yard we found these tiny little strawberry blossoms.  I didn't tell them we would come back later and find tiny strawberries if the birds don't get them first.






I hope you enjoyed our walk...  Just a suggestion, but be prepared to do a lot of lifting over those branches and fallen logs when walking with your little ones.  They have tiny legs and are not really equipped yet for any major climbing. With that said please do take them and often.  It might just  be one of their first memories and when they are grown it could be one of your fondest memories.

Have a wonderful everyday life .

No comments: