Tuesday, May 14, 2013

DIY Febreeze

There have been a ton of posts about making your own cleaning products lately and its got me thinking.  I spend a lot of cash on this stuff and if I can make my own for cheap and if it  actually works then why not.  Some of the ideas are even Green  versions and while I am all about saving my budget I also love it when something with help save the earth and make it a place my grandchildren can grow up in and be healthy.

Well this morning one of my little kidlets was sitting proudly in the big armchair and of course making a stinky diaper.  Between this, and the cat using it for a bed, some of my furniture can get quite smelly.  Febreze is one of my alltime favs for keeping everything in the house smelling fresh.  I reached for the ever present bottle and there was just a dribble left. I cringe when I see the price every time I buy a new bottle, and I was out so now was a really good time to see what I could make.  I found a make your own alternative on this blog .  Her instructions are so easy that I just had to try it out... It was 1/8 of a cup of fabric softener.  I used Fleecy but you could use whatever you have, mixed with 2 tablespoons of baking soda  and warm water.  She used a 27 ounce bottle but mine was a little larger so I added 32 ounces. Give it a shake and its ready...Really, how easy is that. 

This took me five minutes to make and that included the time it took to remove the label from my empty Febreze spray bottle and clean it out so I could re-use it.  I had everything in the cupboard so I saved myself a trip to the store and I don't even think this cost me 15cents.  I saved some gas and 1 bottle from the land fill.  AND  it smells great.  I never have to spend money on Febreze again.   Huge smiles happening here. I should be able to keep my house smelling spring time fresh for less that a dollar a year. 

At this point I think I should add a disclaimer:  I have often noted that if you spill fabric softener directly onto your laundry that it can leave a bleached spot on your fabric.  Even though this is really diluted I would suggest you test it in an area that is not noticeable first to make sure it doesn't harm any expensive furniture. 

No comments: