Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Baked Oatmeal Cereal

I love cereal for breakfast but haven't been eating it as much lately. There are a few reasons for this. One is the ridiculous price it has skyrocketed to.  The ones that have a nice mix of grains and fruits are of course the most expensive, and they're the ones I like.   Another is the preservatives in most of it.  I know most of the additives  are to prolong shelf life  but cereal doesn't last long here so why do we need them.  And they  make me kind of nervous.
However;  
I do like oatmeal.  It's a staple here.   I make it most of the winter,   but its just too hot right now to eat a hot cereal for breakfast. 
I have been making this baked oatmeal recipe for snacks and love  the taste of it but it crumbles to easily.  It just falls apart and you end up eating the bits  from a bowl.   Originally I was looking for a replacement for a store bought cereal bar ( I was still looking for the convenience) and this wasn't it. In spite of that everyone still loves it.  Every once in a while I will even put some milk on it  and have it for a bedtime snack, but it's a little soft and mushy that way. 

That got me thinking, why couldn't I deliberately make it as a morning cereal with a bit more crunch. HMMMM.   It wasn't too hard   to make some changes  that would  make this our go to breakfast.  The first time my husband tried it his  comment was "I can't see why we ever have to buy cereal from  the store again". :)

Here's the recipe for the original baked oatmeal and the alterations to make it  Baked Oatmeal Cereal.



Original Recipe
1/2 c. vegetable oil
2 eggs
l cup sugar
mix into a large bowl and add
1 c. milk
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
3 cups of oatmeal

 
mix all ingredients well and pour into a buttered 8x10 cake pan and bake at 350 deg. for 45 minutes

My changes.
-since the  purpose of the original recipe was to use the instant oatmeal packets her family didn't use, and I was using just whole oats,  I assumed there was some flavour needed.
So I added

1 tsp. nutmeg
1-2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup of brown sugar,  we always put brown sugar on our oatmeal
and 2 apples, peeled and diced

 - this made the recipe much tastier and all my kidlets in daycare just loved it,  even if it was a bit messy.



The next step was to make it crunchier for  cereal.  All I do is bake the oatmeal recipe in a cake pan and take it out of the oven at the  45 minute  mark.  Don't turn the oven off yet.


Empty  the cake pan onto a large bar pan or cookie sheet,   it will fall apart and crumble  on its own as you spread it out. 

Put it back in the oven and continue baking for another 15 to 20 minutes, then turn off the heat, but leave it in the oven while it cools down.  This lets the mixture dry out a bit.

When I remove the final mixture from the oven I have a little fun with it.   I add all or some of the following items.  About 1/2 to 1 cup of each adds some interesting texture and flavour to the cereal.

raisins
dried cranberries ...or any dried fruit
chopped nuts.. any your family likes is fine
all bran buds ... good if you need more fibre

Store in a reusable cereal container with lid.

Top with  your favorite fresh fruit and I'm sure your family will love it as much as mine. 



Have a good day everyone and bye for now.

No comments: