Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Saying Goodbye to 2013

It's been a long time since I've been here to write anything at all..  I was taking a much needed break.   I won't bore you with the reasons why, let's just say I had too much on my plate and needed a rest.

Today is New Year's Eve and other than the obvious "let's party and celebrate" the day means different things to different people.  A lot of us are deciding what our new years  resolutions will be.  Personally, I find this is  a good time for reflection. I've been thinking about the past year and taking stock of what I accomplished and what I didn't quite get done.

I had two goals this year.  I was going to start a  blog and I wanted to be chemical free in my home by the end of the year.   Well I started a blog.  I've let it slide a lot in the last few months so I think it was only a partial success.  I am going to try a little harder to keep it up to date in the new year.

 On the subject of a chemical free home I am happy to say I think its been a great success.  As I look around I feel quite a sense of pride in the products I've been able to replace with more eco friendly choices.  And I know what I'm cleaning with and what I'm putting on my body.  I can pronounce all the ingredients now,  because I choose to use them.  I'm not pouring a lot of poisons down my drain and wearing them in my clothing.  I make whatever I can myself, and pay a lot of attention to what I buy that I can't make. Wild crafting and essential oils have become the norm here.

I recycle, reuse and repurpose whenever I can now, and have learned to compost every single thing that can be put back into the earth.

So Yeah.  I can sit back tonight, relax with an egg nog ( and rum :) and know I've done my part, however small.   I think I've made a great start and  it's been a lot easier than I ever would have dreamed.  I'll share my favorite DIY products and how they work in the coming months, but for now....

Have a good day everyone.  Bye for now and have a safe and happy New Year's Eve.  

No comments: